I really appreciate that who I am today is because of the mistakes and lessons learned in my past, and for the most part, have no regrets. But, if I were given the chance to have a conversation with my 20 year old self, here’s what I’d tell her:
1. If even 1% of you has the desire to live/work in another country, start the Visa process now. Do this so 10 years later when you have the urge to live abroad, you won’t have to wait a decade in order to do so.
2. Be successful with your intelligence and kindness. Not with your looks.
3. There is clothing appropriate for the beach, the club and the office. Know the difference between all three settings.
4. Be careful whom you get your advice from. Not everyone is suited to give you feedback that will help your path.
5. Each breakup brings you closer to the person who is right for you. Learn from the past exes and let them go.
6. There is NOTHING wrong with being single, it is better than jumping from man to man and looking bad.
7. Quick friendships can break apart easily. Take time before giving someone BFF status. Girls don’t always have your best intentions at heart.
8. Buying shoes too small with the hope that they will stretch out is a bad idea.
9. If he doesn’t make an effort to see you, he doesn’t like you enough. Move on. THEE one will always want to be with you.
10. Ask your parents for advice even when you don’t need it. It makes them feel good.
11. Have enough money saved, your resume always updated and diversify your skillset so that if you lose your job tomorrow, you will still be on your feet.
12. Say yes more. For anything, or any plans. Get out there.
13. You know when something isn’t fitting. You can feel it in your body. Don’t ignore that intuition.
14. Send more flowers. Write more cards. Celebrate people’s special moments.
15. No matter how much it hurts, how unfair it feels or how hard you are struck down, always handle yourself with grace and dignity.
16. Spend more time outside.
17. Regardless of what Usher thinks, you will never find OR make love in the club.
18. Go for the beta male, the alpha isn’t always what it’s cracked up to be, plus they are usually the douches.
19. Think before you post that photo! It may seem like a cute idea now but in a few years when your priorities change it might not be so cute.
20. You will get back up, your heart will mend, you will forget and one day in the future it will all make sense.